How is the preparation for hip replacement?
Preparing for a hip implant placement includes:
- medical examination and history taking;
- x-ray, CT or MRI of the area where the operation will take place;
- laboratory blood tests.
How is a hip arthroplasty performed?
Doctors plan a hip replacement surgery using a 3D imaging system. It allows you to choose the optimal shape, size and position of the implant, taking into account the structural features of the thigh. The course of the procedure depends on the method of its implementation:
Traditional hip replacement
During traditional arthroplasty , doctors place the implant through a 20-25 cm incision.
Benefits: The cost of a traditional hip replacement is lower than other types of hip replacement.
Disadvantages: during such an operation, the doctor can damage more surrounding tissues than with other types of intervention, so recovery takes 2 times longer. Traditional hip replacement leaves a large visible scar.
Minimally invasive hip replacement surgery
With minimally invasive endoprosthetics, the doctor installs the implant through a 5-8 cm incision.
Advantages: during such an intervention, the doctor damages less surrounding tissues than during an open procedure, so the recovery will be less painful. After the operation, a small scar remains.
Disadvantages: The price of minimally invasive hip replacement surgery is higher than traditional open surgery.
AMIS method of hip arthroplasty
During the procedure , the doctor makes an incision in the skin up to 10 cm in front of the thigh, pushes the tissues that surround the joint and installs the prosthesis.
Benefits: AMIS preserves intact muscles and tendons, so recovery is less painful and 2 times faster than after a procedure that requires cutting these tissues.
Disadvantages: not all doctors know this method of arthroplasty.
Robotic Hip Replacement ( MAKOplasty )
During robotic arthroplasty, doctors use the MAKOplasty robot. It allows you to install a hip joint implant with an accuracy of 0.1 mm.
Advantages: due to the high accuracy of the installation of the endoprosthesis, the term of its operation is increased and the risk of postoperative complications is minimized.
How long does a hip replacement surgery take?
The duration of hip replacement surgery depends on the type of procedure. The average duration of the intervention is 1-2 hours.
What is the cost of a hip replacement?
The price of hip arthroplasty depends on the selected country and clinic. The table shows the estimated cost of the procedure in different countries of the world:
from $4 500
from $16 781
from $3 600
from $17 334
from $9 244
from $16 240
from $6 199
from $7 800
Prices updated 04/13/2022
For the price of a hip replacement surgery in a particular center, see this page or request it from the Bookimed coordinating doctor.
What does the price of hip arthroplasty include?
Often the price of a hip replacement includes:
- preoperative examination;
- medicines, consumables and endoprosthesis;
Depending on the clinic, the cost of a hip replacement may include an airport-clinic-airport transfer and translation services. Check with your Bookimed medical coordinator.
How to organize hip arthroplasty in the chosen clinic?
Selection of a medical center
Leave a request on our website and a Bookimed medical coordinator will contact you. Together with him, you will choose the best clinic for your case, focusing on your wishes for location and pricing policy.
Registration for a consultation
Send all available test results to the coordinating doctor. He will send them to the hospital of your choice and ask you for a preliminary arthroplasty program with a price. The average waiting time for a response is 1-5 business days. If the price of hip replacement suits you, the coordinating doctor will book you in for a consultation at the clinic.
When planning your trip, keep in mind that you may need a visa. Find out if you need it here
Tickets and accommodation
If necessary, we will help you with the selection of the best-priced tickets and conveniently located accommodation. Learn more about this from your Bookimed medical coordinator.
Interpreter and airport transfer
The clinics provide their patients with transfer and translation services. Whether the medical center of your choice charges an additional fee for this, check with the Bookimed coordinating doctor.
How does Bookimed work?
Bookimed provides 24/7 support from the moment you contact us until you return home. At the same time, you do not pay for our services , this is done by the center where you perform a hip replacement.
What are the reasons for hip arthroplasty?
We have prepared a list of the most common diseases that can damage the hip joint:
- Osteoarthritis is a chronic disease that affects the smooth cartilage that keeps the joint moving smoothly.
- Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease that leads to the destruction of joints and surrounding tissues.
- Osteonecrosis is the death of part of a bone and joint that is caused by insufficient blood supply due to a dislocation or fracture.
- Joint dysplasia is a violation of the development of the anatomical shape of the joints, as a result of which they do not properly perform their function.
Where is the best place to have a hip arthroplasty?
- Choose a clinic where the procedure is performed by an experienced orthopedist. It is important that he has at least 1,000 hip arthroplasty procedures on his account. Such a doctor will perform the operation with minimal risk of complications.
- When choosing a clinic, pay attention to the method of the operation. It is important that the doctor perform arthroplasty through a 5-8 cm incision. With such an intervention, he will keep the muscles, tendons, blood vessels and nerves intact, so you will recover 2 times faster than after a traditional operation.
- Consider the facilities of the hospital. In international clinics, doctors use a 3D imaging system that allows you to plan the operation taking into account the structure of the hip, choose the optimal shape, size and location of the implant for you.
- Pay attention to the endoprostheses that are used in the clinic. It is important that you install an implant from a world-class manufacturer - DePuy J&J, Zimmer, Biomet. The service life of such endoprostheses exceeds 20 years. They have an extended range, so you will find the right size implant.
Bookimed has collected clinics around the world where hip arthroplasty is performed. Hospitals are presented in a ranking based on the choice of our patients. Leave a request on the site, and the coordinating doctor will contact you. He will answer your questions, guide you on the cost of hip replacement, and make an appointment with the clinic. Bookimed services are free . Find out more about us here
Patient Testimonials After Hip Replacement
Irina from Kazakhstan, Medicana Atasehir clinic
I would like to express my deep gratitude to the staff of the clinic! Everything was just perfect! The warmest impressions from staying in Medicana Kadikoy. A low bow to true professionals in their field! From the bottom of my heart I want to thank our coordinator Alexey! He completely organized our trip for treatment, was in touch at any time of the day, helped in any matter! A true professional and kind soul! Low bow to you, Alexey, from the whole Zelenin family from Kazakhstan! May God bless you and your family with health and prosperity!
Ivan from Ukraine, Helios Krefeld Clinic
I had a t/b joint replacement. The clinic is good, the rooms are comfortable and spacious. I was with my wife, both were satisfied with the accommodation. Professor Kraft operated, it went at the highest level, he was very pleased, there were no complications, the same evening he was put on his feet, on the third day he was already walking along the corridor, on the 5th day he was sent for rehabilitation. healed quickly, the pain from the seam did not really bother, after 3 weeks everything went away. Professor Kraft is very attentive, he came personally, answered questions, told the nuances. The junior staff did not speak English well which caused problems. Rehabilitation is very intensive and sensible. Gymnastics, exercise equipment, massages, walks, procedures - everything is selected individually and contributed to a quick recovery. Thank you Bookimed, everything is organized well, quickly and on time. was very pleased.
You can read more patient testimonials here